the Great Filter of private communication

42 42 at enigmabox.net
Sat May 24 04:27:34 PDT 2014

On Fri, 09 May 2014 13:36:54 +0200
rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:

> Dnia wtorek, 6 maja 2014 20:27:04 Scott Blaydes pisze:
> > On May 5, 2014, at 9:05 AM, rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, instead of the latter, one can use RetroShare with great
> > > results: http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/
> > >
> > > You can use it as a replacement for other kinds of communication,
> > > too. Like
> > > VoIP:
> > > http://rys.io/en/129
> >
> > You had me till this line in the description:
> > 	"using a web-of-trust to authenticate peers and OpenSSL to
> > encrypt all communication” Not feeling like trusting more things to
> > OpenSSL right now. Lets see how LibreSSL turns out and see if it
> > can be switched.
>
> Good point; still better than most alternatives. One biggie for me is
> that there is no way to send an unencrypted message via RetroShare.
> I.e. no way for the user to fsck up.
>
> I find OpenSSL use in RetroShare a smaller problem than the fact that
> a user of any GPG-enabled e-mail client can actually send an
> unencrypted e-mail and... not notice that until its too late. Not to
> mention metadata (sender, addressee, topic, etc, not being
> GPG-encrypted).

SSL is broken and the metadata is in fact a huge problem. Also, users
want the convenience of a webinterface or to keep their existing email
clients. In my opinion, that problems can only be solved by a hardware
solution. We just did that.

Here is how it works: https://enigmabox.net/en/cjdns-en/

Cheers,
42