[cryptography] The next gen P2P secure email solution

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Sun May 18 05:28:42 PDT 2014

> I would it too, of course. But in order to make it work we have to dial
> back the complexity of our pages and our want for high definition videos.

Yes.  Yes.  Yes.

The HTTP Archive says that the average web page today makes
out-references to 16 different domains as well as making 17 Javascript
requests per page, and the Javascript byte count is several times the
HTML byte count.[HT]  A lot of that Javascript is, as you well know,
about analytics which is to say surveillance of the user "experience."

I wish I could get it across to those who like free as in paid for
by advertising and the video junkies that it is their demand for,
and their willingnesss to accept, remote procedure calls from
arbitrary servers (RPCs written in Turing complete languages I might
add) that will have the effects that we here can so well anticipate.
Mozilla's announcement that it will bend to demand and build in DRM
is indicative.

In short, can this baby be saved?  I really don't know.

--dan

[HT] Trends, HTTP Archive; www.httparchive.org/trends.php