the Great Filter of private communication

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Fri May 9 04:36:54 PDT 2014

Dnia wtorek, 6 maja 2014 20:27:04 Scott Blaydes pisze:
> On May 5, 2014, at 9:05 AM, rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
> > Dnia poniedziałek, 21 kwietnia 2014 00:30:42 Stephen D. Williams pisze:
> >> Probably people just need two email clients: One for non-secure email,
> >> another that only sends secure messages.
> >
> > Well, instead of the latter, one can use RetroShare with great results:
> > http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > You can use it as a replacement for other kinds of communication, too.
> > Like
> > VoIP:
> > http://rys.io/en/129
>
> You had me till this line in the description:
> 	"using a web-of-trust to authenticate peers and OpenSSL to encrypt all
> communication” Not feeling like trusting more things to OpenSSL right now.
> Lets see how LibreSSL turns out and see if it can be switched.

Good point; still better than most alternatives. One biggie for me is that
there is no way to send an unencrypted message via RetroShare. I.e. no way for
the user to fsck up.

I find OpenSSL use in RetroShare a smaller problem than the fact that a user
of any GPG-enabled e-mail client can actually send an unencrypted e-mail
and... not notice that until its too late. Not to mention metadata (sender,
addressee, topic, etc, not being GPG-encrypted).

--
Pozdr
rysiek