Curious Intellectual Property Food-for-thought: "Live-forever Pingers"

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri May 30 21:00:52 PDT 2014

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 4:37 PM, jim bell <jamesdbell9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> art".  A month ago, when it became obvious that finding Air Malaysia Flight
> 370 could be difficult, the 30-day limit of the electronic pingers got me to
> thinking.  Why?  Instead of pinging for 30 days, why not have them ping
> increasingly slowly, so that the pinger would last 'forever'.  Considered

These boxes need to
- record and store data
- be tamper evident and monkey resistant
- withstand being dive bombed into the side of a mountain, impaled
by ragged airframe bits, signposts, etc at over mach 0.92
- deal with 100 story concrete and steel burning buildings falling on them
- handle being frozen/quenched after a nice 600++ degF fire for an hour or so
- float over, or, if attached to a bunch of scrap, sink to the bottom
of, the Marianas without being crushed or infiltration water

And for the transmitter model, have both high freq (ground, low
power) and low freq (undersea, higher power; or acoustic) transmitters...
you then want to add the impact mass / heat reactive carrying of
enough tarmac float chargeable battery in the internal roll cage
to last 'forever [1]' ... all at a cost an airline will buy?

You've clearly got alien tech, let's make some money :)

Better than trying to build and maintain single indestructible
battle tanks is to distribute in the airframe a few cheap brick
sized modules dedicated to locator beeping. Fan out duplicate
recording streams to their flash memories. Let em run powered
24x7x365. And autopop a dozen more out the ass end like a roman
candle if inflight do-not-exceed params are ever exceeded.
This note constitutes prior art.

[1] All batteries self discharge, current load saps more, physical
distortion and heat are death. So let's say a couple months for low
mass lithiums.