Going to jail nowadays for owning a book, wtf?

Georgi Guninski guninski at guninski.com
Thu May 22 07:03:07 PDT 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 12:54:09PM -0400, Henry Rivera wrote:
> All "speech" should be legal--printed, electronic, or otherwise--even guides to making bombs like the Anarchist Cookbook, of which I have a copy. Anyone who doesn't support that doesn't deserve freedom of speech. I understand limits to speech being necessary to prevent imminent harm (when there is evidence of clear and present danger) like yelling fire in a crowded theater. However, this logic has been overextended and abused to the point where less-than-clear danger and just potential risk are enough to justify censorship of unpopular political speech. One more reason to nix the Terrorism Act.
> -Henry

Agree with the main idea, but not sure agree
with the "limits".

Currently in theory most people have right of
free speech, but there are so many limits/
exceptions they rule and one can hardly exercise
free speech without hitting limit/exception.

To paraphrase a quote:

First they came for the terrorists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a terrorist,
Then they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a communist,
...{jews, trade unionists, protestants}
Then they came for me,
and by that time no one was left to speak up.