Re: Harvard and MIT Students Launch ‘NSA-Proof’ Email Service | Betabeat

unixninja92 unixninja92 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 09:10:57 PDT 2014

Last time I checked, NSLs could only be used against people in the US.
Not people located in Switzerland even if they are US citizens. So as
long as they don't travel to the US it's safe.

And to concerns about monetization, I was looking around their website
and found that they have been entering a bunch of start-up
seed-funding things. I also noticed that in their privacy policy they
have a section covering payment information. I assume this means that
they will have pay services once they leave beta. Under the forever
free picture on the front page, they say that they will have
"multi-tiered pricing including a free version anyone can use."

What I haven't seen yet is anything about third party audits or
warrant canaries. In Switzerland it is possible to get warrants with
gag orders for data (I believe the gag is eventually lifted). They do
not make it clear what would change in their transparency report if
they got such an order. They also make no indication of how they will
respond to security disclosures or to people trying to poke holes in
their system.