[cryptography] The next gen P2P secure email solution

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Thu May 15 08:39:51 PDT 2014

>>> How could we make a secure solution that plays nicely with the
>>> current tools without disturbing too much what is already
>>> established?

>> By writing a gateway (i.e. between RetroShare and e-mail)?

> The gateway idea is interesting, but it has to be efficient enough
> and low cost enough for people to switch over. Something like
> bitmessage is not.

I actually think, having used it for some time and liking it on the
whole, that Retroshare isn't suited to this.

The primary reason is RS only receives mail if the sender and recipient
are online at the same time. There's no store-and-forward, even though
all messages are PGP encrypted to recipients.

RS also has a lot of feature-bloat; it's better thought of as P2P
Facebook than a simple communication system.

Finally, RS is engineered to a simple and admirable purpose which makes
it unsuited to email replacement; it's Friend to Friend. That's great in
its use-case, but I think email should be:

1) Rapid and censorship-resilient routing
2) Single canonical addresses for each participant, which are
human-readable.
3) Churn-tolerant
4) Expensive to send, to deter spam otherwise facilitated by to (1)
5) Practical for payloads between 10M and 20M, no greater.

I do *not* think the core of a replacement email should guarantee
anonymity, but the protocol should make allowances for that if possible.

I think the above could be satisfied using a pseudo-blockchain for
name->key mappings, and a key-routed DHT for creating routes for mail
delivery. Credit is earned by routing other people's mail in
store-and-forward fashion, like email. Credit can be spent to
register new mail address:key mappings and to pay for routing of larger
messages, or to prolong retention of messages before they bounce (if
your intended recipient does not run a high-uptime mailserver and may
need a day or two to log in).

That resembles Twister, the coupling of DHT:Blockchain, but may be
better suited to the model than twister is (because twister hit problems
with scaling DHT use to many followers, I think), because email is
slower and stabler than microstatus systems; more amenable to
P2P-isation, whereas rapid updates coupled with mass-queries to other
feeds is a setup better suited to a client:server interaction. The
blockchain would need tweaking, because Twister is using scrypt, which
is now apparently ASIC-able, e.g. useless. I think a password encrypting
function whose parameters are set dynamically by the value of the prior
block might help fix matters; the goal is for the ideal "ASIC" for the
function to be a consumer CPU, not a GPU or dedicated ASIC.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text. Killing/replacing email is often on
my mind.