"Whew, wondered where we'd put those 200,000 BTC!"

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Sat Mar 22 19:56:28 PDT 2014

> I can't answer to all your concerns separately as it seems you have got
> one very big problem: you are into computers, but you have trouble
> compiling - merely compiling - programs for OpenBSD.

Given the amount of unix knowledge involved I don't think that judges me at
all. Maybe you judge me for my lack of unix skills, which I would easily
admit are lacking.

> You are in the same boat of Karpeles and Ulbricht, they also were barely
> able to code some interpreted language and they were overwhelmed by the
> intricacies of the systems they were building. Until they finally brought
> disaster for themselves and everyone that depended on them.

I don't feel comfortable being put at the advanced PHP magic level. I doubt
it's fair to my skill. Ulbricht actually did pretty well. Bringing disaster
is also avoidable on many different levels.

> In order to grasp the seriousness of things, you gotta start with
> something simpler which doesn't require so many security skills, like
> games. Then you build up your knowledge until one day you can make your own
> exchange.

Making games will not help you learn security at all. It might make you
learn coding fast and dirty. They're totally different styles.

> But until that point, it is irresponsible to try as you have well noticed.

Do or do not. There is no try.

> Regarding the rest of your concerns, everything can be dealt with
> properly, but it takes years of learning. There's a reason computer
> security professionals are amongst the most well paid employees which big
> corporations and rich governments only can hire.

It's most likely the lack of appeal of a security job.  It takes more than
learning actually, it takes inventing.