MH370 in hangar at Diego Garcia, detainees already rendered

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Tue Mar 18 17:09:03 PDT 2014

One account I read held that telemetry is initially disabled, then
re-enabled sequentially while the cause is narrowed down. But that the
priorities are so urgent (you have about 3 minutes to live) that
actually using the communications equipment is not an option; the pilot
must immediately land while trying to narrow the problem, full-stop.

The scenario plays out in other cases that didn't go well that the crew
ultimately succumb to smoke/monoxide inhalation and simply pass out,
leaving the plane continuing on autopilot, *and pinging quietly*, until
it ditches.

That was the scenario I read, at least. All the other scenarios seem
equally unlikely in the first place, but also unlikely to be so clean
and tidy. Hackers hack the instruments? Great! How many flight-school
trained hackers can successfully pilot a plane from the in-flight
entertainment system? In fact, how many hackers of that calibre,
full-stop, have any experience flying planes? That's your suspect group.
Where are they, then?

Government or state-sponsored hijackers? Then why such a confusing job?
Why so silent yet also suspicious? And why instantly turn to the nearest
airport, whereas hijackers would take a more circuitous route?

Want to just crash a plane because you're a fairy-tale terrorist? Then
why the silence, and no terror-inspiring speeches claiming credit, and
why disable radio communications on the plane? You want terror, right
mister stereotyped extremely-unlikely-person?

To me this has all the hallmarks of an unfortunate accident, and after
reading the pilots' fire explanations, both of which referenced
real-world examples, I'm pretty happy to agree with the experts in
aviation over the Intel wonks looking for Cyber Pearl Harbour or the
media fools looking for an amazing scoop.