TURBINE

Steve Furlong demonfighter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 07:47:32 PDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> Au contraire, name and shame does work for criminals. Consider
> drone operators or black ops being outed, or NSA cybercriminals
> published with full name and address. I assure they're not going
> to take it lightly any more than sex offenders want to see
> their mugs and full addresses and map locations published.

Without admitting to anything which might result in criminal charges or
civil action, I may or may not have been involved in collating and
publishing the home addresses and various personal information on city
police and local politicians and bureaucrats where I used to live. And
Eugen is absolutely correct: once the web site was publicized, the official
response was apoplectic. "Shrieking eschatonic hysteria" would not be an
overstatement. See, it's perfectly fine for the police or the city
government to "accidentally" release all sorts of personal information on
people who were arrested but not charged, but it's a totally different
matter for the home address of the chief of police or the feminine hygiene
brand preference of the city attorney to be made public.