"Whew, wondered where we'd put those 200,000 BTC!"

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Mon Mar 24 12:56:43 PDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 04:38:37PM +0100, Lodewijk andré de la porte wrote:

> > I appreciate your ideas, how much would they scale? Can one squeeze 300
> > customers per unit and link many parallel units?
> >

> I've yet to see a multiprocessor trade matching engine.

Do https://github.com/PhantomPhreak/counterpartyd and
https://ripple.com/guide-to-currency-trading-on-the-ripple-network/
count as trade matching engines?

Why in the world do we need a centralized trade matching engine when the
commodities (corn) and customers (grocery stores) are fundamentally
distributed anyway?

If someone wants the absolute best price possible in the world for their
stock trade, then they can spend a gazillion dollars on brokers and HFT
and microsecond latency to the exchange floor. But I want to be able to
execute corn futures trades and physical delivery contracts from the server
in my combine that knows to-the-bushel how much I'm pulling out of the field.

I mean, I've got to have *something* to do while the babysitting the GPS
guidance system ....

Troy Benjegerdes                 'da hozer'                  hozer at hozed.org
7 elements      earth::water::air::fire::mind::spirit::soul        grid.coop

      Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel,
         nor try buy a hacker who makes money by the megahash