"Whew, wondered where we'd put those 200,000 BTC!"

tpb-crypto at laposte.net tpb-crypto at laposte.net
Sat Mar 22 20:58:39 PDT 2014

> Message du 23/03/14 04:45
> De : dan at geer.org
> A : cypherpunks at cpunks.org
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: "Whew, wondered where we'd put those 200,000 BTC!"
>

> It were write that:
>
> > You are in the same boat of Karpeles and Ulbricht, they also were
> > barely able to code some interpreted language and they were overwhelmed
> > by the intricacies of the systems they were building. Until they
> > finally brought disaster for themselves and everyone that depended
> > on them.
>
> True but inevitable. Humans can design systems more complex than
> they can then operate. The financial sector's "flash crashes" are
> one, but only one, public proof-by-demonstration of that fact. I
> predict that the fifty interlocked insurance exchanges for Obamacare
> will be another. It is likely that any cryptocurrency exchange
> that is center-free and self-mobile is harder still. The HTTP
> Archive says that the average web page now makes out-references to
> 16 different domains as well as making 17 Javascript requests per
> page, and the Javascript byte count is five times the HTML byte
> count.
>
> Above some threshold of system complexity, it is no longer possible
> to test, it is only possible to react to emergent behavior. Even
> the lowliest Internet user is involved -- on the top level page for
> a major news site, I found 400 out-references to 85 unique domains
> each of which is similarly constructed. If you leave those pages
> up, then because most such pages have an auto-refresh, moving your
> ass to a new subnet signals to every single advertising network
> that you have done so.
>
> --dan

Your comments naturally lead us to think how to make simple systems, yet functional enough for the purpose we are building them.

KISS is coming back into vogue.

We are up to a revival in self-made purpose-specific web servers. Learning the few needed protocols and building from the ground up using open-source tools seems the way to go.

Notwithstanding hardware issues, using things out of intel and amd seems also to become a trend.