secure anonymous decentralized systems [was: "Whew, wondered where we'd put those 200,000 BTC!"]

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Sat Mar 22 19:49:04 PDT 2014

> have you gone through the NSA TAO and SSO catalog?

The day it was leaked. Made a writeup on a list too. Massive amount of
stuff. I was happy it leaked, I was saying that they *must* be doing that
for *years*. At least, to everyone who wouldn't label me a paranoid guy
right away. Now they won't label me like that so easily :).

don't do it.  instead, build software secure and usable enough that
> every average user can be their own exchange and bank without falling
> prey to haxxors or stupidity.

Once I'd have done that I'll be half a year further. If it works out
everyone will think it's pretty cool and it'd be totally useless to me
otherwise. I can move on to the next thing, but most likely I'll need some
money and that'll be the end of the fight for freedom.

I much prefer the scenario where the central and quite secure exchange
works and half the profit is poured purely into increased security, the
other half towards the next projects. If it all bloats up enough there'll
be a little horde of people working on those problems I'd have tackled
myself years later.

In that scenario everyone wins much more.

I also still believe I can make it "secure" whatever that means. Pretty
much impossible to hack, is the idea.

I can't really go into thoughts about how2 distributed secure application
right now. It's worth mentioning RetroShare as an existent solution (that's
probably not secure at all) and Zero Reserve
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=295930.0. Both attempts at this
ideal without any use of those terrible "Interpreted languages" (this
sentence is a joke).

ttyl