Comsec as Public Utility Beyond Illusory Privacy

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Sun Mar 16 21:09:53 PDT 2014

> > > It remembers me when someone proposed that IPv6 encryption should become optional and the proposal was accepted. If we had IPv6 encrypted by now, things would be a little bit different ...
> > >

> > And networks would be harder to debug, unless you happened to work for the
> > comsec utility or the NSA and already had all the decryption keys.
> >
> > Let me suggestion using IPv7 where encryption is also optional, but at least
> > happens to use the same ecdsa keys you use for your money to encrypt packets
> > if you so desire.
> >
> > --
> > Troy Benjegerdes 'da hozer' hozer at hozed.org
> > 7 elements earth::water::air::fire::mind::spirit::soul grid.coop
> >
> > Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel,
> > nor try buy a hacker who makes money by the megahash
> >

> I absolutely don't see the point that justifies debugging network problems to be a bigger concern than the privacy of everyone in the world. Debugging be damned.
>
> We should move to quantum-proof crypto, ECDSA is merely a stopgap.

Most people will happily trade privacy for some 'free stuff'. Encrypting
things nobody cares about hiding seems like a losing battle not worth
fighting.

'De-bugging' is also de-bugging and removal of surveilance devices.

If everything (including the network path my data takes) is encrypted,
then I have no real ability to know if it's being tapped, redirected,
or misdirected.