why do you sign your mails?

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Wed Jun 25 03:50:46 PDT 2014

Dnia środa, 25 czerwca 2014 11:20:50 stef pisze:
> i noticed lots of users pgp-sign their mails to mailing-lists. what exactly
> is the reason/usecase/attackvector you defend against for that? what
> exactly is the reason for doing so on public mailing lists? and why does it
> make sense to sign irrelevant messages like "+1" or "just kidding" -
> assuming no stego usecase is in play.

I sign my e-mails for the same reasons I undersign them. E-mail is dead-easy
to forge, so when I have something to say, I sign it in a way to ensure that
it's as unforgeable as possible.

I sign *all* my e-mail (and try to encrypt as much as possible, but that's
another thing), even trivial, so that if anybody gets e-mail from me that is
*not* signed, they will be more likely to suspect foul play.

--
Pozdr
rysiek