why do you sign your mails?

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Wed Jun 25 03:52:36 PDT 2014

Dnia środa, 25 czerwca 2014 11:20:50 stef pisze:
> i noticed lots of users pgp-sign their mails to mailing-lists. what exactly
> is the reason/usecase/attackvector you defend against for that? what
> exactly is the reason for doing so on public mailing lists? and why does it
> make sense to sign irrelevant messages like "+1" or "just kidding" -
> assuming no stego usecase is in play.

One more reason: spreading the word about GPG/PGP. This actually helps get
people interested in encryption, and helps also inform people that do have a
GPG/PGP key (but for different reasons do not use them on a general basis),
that here's a person that does use it, and it's possible to encrypt e-mails to
that person.

Which might not be all that important on cpunks, I give you that, but a rule
is a rule. ;)

--
Pozdr
rysiek