dm-crypt+LUKS

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sat Jun 21 05:14:52 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:33:48PM -0300, Jose Damico wrote:
> Could you give me your impressions about the use (only in Linux) of
> dm-crypt + LUKS instead of truecrypt?
>
> For me there is no need to use my encrypted disks with OSX or Windows,
> so, due the last movements of truecrypt, I am planning to move my
> encrypted disks from truecrypt to dm-crypt + LUKS.

The design and implementation of dm-crypt + LUKS appears to be solid.
The code is well maintained and your use case is well supported by
distributions and other software.

I haven't given it a thorough audit but at least dm-crypt has avoided
many of the OMG WTF bugs and design flaws that have plagued other disk
encryption systems (looking at you, ecryptfs).

-andy