Fwd: Help investigate cell phone snooping by police nationwide

jim bell jamesdbell9 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 17:49:41 PDT 2014

In a previous note on Cypherpunks, I believe I read that exposure to one of these Stingrays causes a cell phone to emit its signal at maximum power, causing a battery drain.  This suggests that a simple Stingray-detector could be built, using an old cell-phone, a power-supply with a current-limit-detector connected to an alarm.  If the cell phone emits maximum RF-signal, it will use a considerable DC power, which could be set to trigger the DC-current alarm.  (Am I correct in thinking that the old cell-phone doesn't even have to be 'active', meaning that it doesn't have to have a contracted service associated with it?)
        Jim Bell