Google'es End-to-End

James Murphy jtmurphy at cmu.edu
Wed Jun 4 06:57:46 PDT 2014

On 6/3/2014 22:10, The Doctor wrote:
> On 06/03/2014 06:06 PM, James Murphy wrote:
>
>> email. I was not able to verify the signature though since gpg
>> doesn't support elliptic curve keys (I wonder why not). Presumably
>> (hopefully) gpg will be adding EC support in the future and this
>> will no longer be an issue.
>
> I did a little looking around, and found the following:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/gnupg-users@gnupg.org/msg20573.html
>
> Supposedly it was merged into the v2 source tree a few years ago:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/gnupg-ecc/
>
> It seems that at least some of the development builds incorporate ECC
> in --expert mode.  I just tried it on my standard install (GnuPG
> v2.0.22 (64-bit)) on a new user, and saw no signs of ECC support.
> This says that it's in the v2.1.x source tree, which is probably why I
> don't have it:
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/623090/how-can-i-use-gnupg-with-ecdsa-keys
>
> What release of GnuPG do you normally use?

On this machine I'm using
gpg (GnuPG) 2.0.22 (Gpg4win 2.2.1)
libgcrypt 1.5.3

I never noticed the two '?'s in the supported algos before.

Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, ELG, DSA, ?, ?
Cipher: IDEA, 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH,
        CAMELLIA128, CAMELLIA192, CAMELLIA256
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

Perhaps they are ECDSA and ECDH. In any case gpg --expert --gen-key
doesn't give the option for elliptic curve keys. I guess this is a
developer branch only feature for now.