[tor-talk] Questions about NSA monitoring of Tor users.

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 11:55:40 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 8:01 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> -----

>>> From: Mark McCarron <mark.mccarron at live.co.uk>
>>>    Did no one notice trillions are being drained from the US economy
>>> into some unidentified military project for the last decade or more???
>>>
>>> It would seem to indicate that there is a Manhatten-style project underway.

>>> do you have any links or additional info about this? beyond the vague
>> sense of large black budgets, I'm not sure exactly what you might be
>> referring to.

> Well, the modern NSA _is_ a Manhattan-scale project. According to
> So, even counting cleanup costs, they're comparable.
> Perhaps Mark can add some specifics that haven't come out yet.

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/08/29/your-cheat-sheet-to-americas-secret-intelligence-budget/

http://www.martingrandjean.ch/data-visualization-top-secret-us-intelligence-budget/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_intelligence_budget
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Intelligence_Community

They're comparable but already reasonably well "identified" and
with reasonably known budgets... Manhattan/Hanford, wars,
Intel Community Budget, Social Programs, and so on.

This new claim of "some unidentified military project for the last
decade or more" to the '$trillions' size needs substantiated.

That's $100+B/yr of new money, rather hard to hide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_megaprojects
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Economy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_federal_budget