Tox.im

edhelas edhelas at movim.eu
Thu Jul 10 00:48:06 PDT 2014

Let me clarify some things here,

The XMPP protocol is not here to transport binary data, we have a bunch
of other protocols for that. XMPP is only here to transport the
signalisations to create bitstreams connections between the different
end-points.

I've implemented Jingle over WebRTC threw XMPP in my project, WebRTC
re-use a lot of existing protocol (RTP, SRTP, RTPC, SDP), Jingle is
just here to do a little bit of signalisation ("someone is calling
you"…) and to convert the standard SDP (Session Description Protocol,
which is used in SIP too) to a standard XML Jingle package.

Creating a tool that convert SDP to Jingle is quite easy ( check  our
PHP implementation
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~movim/movim/trunk/view/head:/lib/SDPtoJingle.php
and
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~movim/movim/trunk/view/head:/lib/JingletoSDP.php).

When you've established a RTP connection (RTP take place on top of UDP)
you can send 4K 60FPS 3D video, it doesn't matter.

Secondly, saying that the XML overhead is a big issue is for me a
non-sense. A couple of XMPP servers already support XML compression
(with a minimum of 30% to more than 50% of bandwidth gain), see XEP
like XEP-0138: Stream Compression
(http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0138.html) and XEP-0229: Stream
Compression with LZW (http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0229.html).
Furthermore the whole web is based on XHTML (on top of HTTP which
create way more overhead than XMPP on top of TCP).

The big issue that we have now on XMPP is definitly not the XML size
(every 3G connections and cheap smartphones can now handle this amount
of data). The issue is more on improving how the XMPP stanza are sent
threw the network and how to limit useless stanza to be send to the
client (and between the servers). For the ejabberd server with Pubsub,
we have sometime more than 50% of the stanza (XMPP packets) that are
totally useless (the client already have the information, it's a old
information…).

As far as I know, base64 heavy data are only used to send and receive
the users avatars (and for some authentications exchanges in SASL2, I
think mostly to prevent encoding issues).

Finally the Websocket are not here to improve the XMPP connections on
desktops and mobiles clients, they are already using a pure TCP
connection for that. The Websocket extension is mostly here to replace
the BOSH system (which mimic a full-duplex XMPP communication on top of
HTTP) which, yes, have a big overhead and serious performances issues.

The aim of XMPP over Websockets is just to bring XMPP to the modern
browsers.

For the XMPP clients, there's already a couple of them, with strenghts
and weaknesses. From my point of view Gajim has a quite good
implementation of XMPP but the UI is really not "user friendly". Pidgin
is quite great but the XMPP support is not as good as expected. Empathy
start to be really interesting and the integration of the client in the
OS is quite great.

You can also take a look at the HipChat proprietary client which offer
a nice user experience on top of XMPP.

For me, Google has dropped the XMPP protocol for a couple of reasons :
- Yes, the XMPP Standard Fundation can be slow to react and they are
not working as fast as Google would like.
- They are currently replacing XMPP with Hangout which is a
proprietary, centralized and a totally obscur system. They are not
replacing XMPP because its lack of features, they are building
something totally different. And because the XMPP network is
decentralized and totally open, you can't control and monitor it (or
tape/spy it) easily.
- Some clients already used the Gmail XMPP connexion for other purposes
than the standard IM stuffs.
- With Hangout, Google can now control the network, the servers but
also the clients. To create Hangout-compatible clients we have to
reverse-engineer their protocol (like we does for MSN, Skype or QQ).

I'm fighting for more than 5 years now to built a full social network
on top of XMPP, and yes I still think that this protocol is totally
underrated. With XMPP you can do way more than just IM.

If I compare your little 'requirement list' with XMPP :
- XMPP is already built as a client-server protocol on top of TCP (with
a couple of peer-to-peer extensions)
- As I said the overhead here is not the XML protocol but the way you
send data threw the network, and we are working with the XSF to
optimize theses stuffs
- Efficient encoding, XMPP is in full UTF-8 and handle perfectly any
encoding (my client is used on many differents countries and I never
had any bad feedbacks for this thing).
- Stream encryption is supported C-S and S-S, the XSF is trying to push
full encryptions between the servers
(https://xmpp.net/result.php?domain=jabber.org&type=client for
example). For the record, Goggle has never put any encryption between
the Gmail XMPP server and the rest of the network, all the data are
broadcasted in plain text. The OTR protocol is already used by a a lot
of XMPP clients (on mobile too http://www.xabber.org/).
- XMPP support "buge data" streaming (SOCKS5 bitestream
http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0065.html) or Jingle can be used for
this purpose.
- The core of XMPP is built with a nice presence and ressources system.
There's also extensions like XEP-0085: Chat State Notifications
(http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0085.html) or XEP-0224: Attention
(http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0224.html) to add nice features to a
chat conversation. There is also extensions to handle archiving,
message synchronisation between the clients and so on.
- The core of XMPP is built on one-to-one and one-to-many system. You
have several way to do this : chatrooms for simple messaging, you can
do CC/mailing-list/transfert of messages to one or several contacts,
and there is PubSub which add a nice stream management feature (which
we used with Atom to publish and/or retrieve posts) on the PubSub nodes.
- Just have a look of the ~300 extensions already shipped with XMPP
http://xmpp.org/xmpp-protocols/xmpp-extensions/

I'll just finish with this : http://xkcd.com/927/

Regards,

Jaussoin Timothée aka edhelas