distributing Cryptome June 2014 [was: data mine the snowden files]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 18:04:46 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:36 AM, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 7:04 AM, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> anyone who would like to host mirrors is welcome to tell me how they
>> anticipate mirroring ~30G of data as quickly as possible. :)

Please put a contact key on your darknet announce.

> based on feedback, here is what i intend:
>
> 1. A torrent of:
> USB-1.rar
> USB-2.rar
> Update-13-1231.rar
> each of these have an accompanying signature from John.

OpenPGP at its best.

> Griffin Boyce said:
> Also keep in mind that it's possible to spy on who downloads these
> just by seeding the torrent and monitoring connections to your box.  So
> it's certainly not anonymous.  I'd say hidden service first, a website
> second, and torrent third.

Please no clearnet website/dumps for files. You're not teaching anyone
how to use crypto tools by giving them the easy way out. Make them
download and use Tor, I2P, Freenet, gnupg, sha256, whatever. You can
put those instructions on clearnet if you want.

> i will include a magnet URI.

As for torrent... Tor doesn't have much of a darknet torrent community.
I'd suggest seeding it on I2P, whereby others might pick it up there and
seed on clearnet.

> 2. The same files on a hidden service with nginx and HTTP/1.1 range
> request capable (resume-able)

The original files can be rsync'ed as well.

You may want to do 500MiB split(1)'s if resumes of large
files become a problem (2GiB limit bugs, etc).

> note that this is a point in time archive from June 2014.
>
> please donate to John as i hate to think i would be taking revenue
> from his pocket with this setup!

I still have Cryptome CD's :)