Tox.im

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Tue Jul 8 11:05:11 PDT 2014

> XMPP design,

I used XMPP with facebook chat. It didn't support even a quarter of the
cookiejar of features. This was with Pidgin, afaik the only serious rich
crossplatform manyprotocol chat program.

So forgive me for being a little underwhelmed on the protocol itself.

It is also by design the most common denominator, with extensions
infrequently supported (read: less useful). The most common denominator is
of course chat and user accounts.

But chat is not the atomic networked message that we're talking about. VOIP
over base64 also seems kind of like banging your head into the wall.

It feels pretty good though, because it means state of the art can be
improved. It gives some reason for the current state of things. We have a
go-to solution, why improve?