Tox.im

Dāvis Mosāns davispuh at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 06:06:47 PDT 2014

I don't agree, I think XMPP could be good solution, while yes attack
surface is quite large but it will be in any case, because even if you
create the very minimalist chat protocol possible (let's say basically use
asymmetric cryptography for messages which are plaintext without any
features) you still can have bugs in cryptography library, network stack,
OS/kernel. This part will be same no matter what messaging protocol you
use. So by changing plaintext to other payload such as XMPP we introduce
another layer but this layer could be parsed in a sandbox / virtual machine
thus even if you receive malicious message it couldn't exploit other parts
of your system and it would work exactly like that simple plaintext
protocol. Now but what if there's a bug in cryptography library, well you
have already lost even with your basic plaintext protocol...