You need to update your Flattr account

Odinn Cyberguerrilla odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
Mon Jul 7 02:38:09 PDT 2014

> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Odinn Cyberguerrilla
> <odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net> wrote:
>> ... there are alternatives for the users so (use of some
>> decentralized virtual currency options) wouldn't necessitate what you
>> are
>> proposing even in countries where you might be faced with it.  Flattr is
>> wrong.  Flattr is fail.
>

> sounds like they are also incompetent:
> """
> 4. Flattr has abandoned Bitcoin funding because of “technical issues”.
> Can you be more specific? What was the exact problem? Was Bitcoin used
> at all ?
>
> The payment provider had a window of payment of 15 minutes, too many
> transactions did not arrive during this time and gave us way to many
> technical issues and admin overhead. Not to say unhappy customers.
> Bitcoin was used, but it was just a few % of the money added to the
> system each month. Meaning the problems it caused could not be
> justified economically.
> """

Flattr once accepted bitcoin, but their process for adding it was so
ridiculous and arcane that I abandoned trying.  I was once sent an e-mail
by one of the Flattr group convincing me that they had integrated bitcoin
into their system, it was nearly impossible to find when it was present
and their chosen implementation / location of links, buttons, and other
wizardry that was supposed to take you there was basically their elaborate
way of trying to mask that they had ever offered support for bitcoin.

Flattr is a joke.  Also, the notion that their use of decentralized
virtual currency systems cannot be justified economically (while they leap
into the embracy of KYC "compliance") is just basically statism on
steroids.  Total fail.
Next they'll be explaining that due to the implementation of TISA they
will "be forced" to obtain users' birth identities from banks around the
world prior to doing business with anyone.

In all seriousness, I think Flattr makes the argument in favor of moving
completely away from web-based services and systems, including banks that
use anything that connects to the customer through a website, for example.

But basically, fuck Flattr.  I am done.