Tox.im

Dāvis Mosāns davispuh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 21:00:54 PDT 2014

> Dnia niedziela, 6 lipca 2014 22:25:59 piszesz:
> > hmm, I wonder are there any such open protocol specification created? I
> > know about XMPP, but nothing more...
>
> Well, there's the Diaspora protocol:
> https://wiki.diasporafoundation.org/Federation_protocol_overview
>
> And... StatusNet/OStatus, PumpIO, TentIO, ActivityStreams, BuddyCloud
> (XMPP-
> based, I guess), and quite a few others I don't really remember. Some of
> them
> are related, all are incompatible. And all the devs are showing strong
> symptoms of the NIH syndrome.
>
> Which is absurd.
>
> --
> Pozdr
> rysiek

that indeed is stupid and so no one have solved it yet... for social
network or basically any IM/chat/etc to be usable it must have majority of
people (eg. your friends) users there, otherwise without people they are
totally useless so currently we're stuck with no-so-great
applications/protocols only because everyone already are on them like
Facebook and Skype. On that mailing list there were discussion about a
polyglot protocol/application which could support all networks so users
wouldn't be forced to migrate which I think is essential because a lot of
people won't bother. There was mention to Sockethub
<http://sockethub.org/>which
seems quite cool, only for a bit different use case I would say.
Another thing I would like to mention is BitlBee <http://bitlbee.org> it is
a gateway between various IM/chat networks and IRC so you can chat with
friends on Facebook using your favorite IRC client, or post a tweet on your
Twitter and use various other protocols. It even supports OTR.