Tox.im

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 10:42:55 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Lodewijk andré de la porte <l at odewijk.nl> wrote:
> Just write the communications layer. Expose it through a socket on the local
> machine. Let's say the port will be 33742 (actually a good port number) (say
>
> This little daemon/server maintains the connection to whatever P2P network
> is currently thought to be neat. It may or may not also do DNS-ish stuff and
> (if that's the popular P2P thing) it can have a keyring with trusted peers
> (aka "friends").
>
> Once you have that you can communicate in an abstracted form. You can send

Yes, I've always felt the level of interop among crypto darknets is
arbitrarily far less than ideal. Everybody seems to want to make their
own user protocol for umm, say, the simple act of sending a message.
And with all these different vertical darknet silos, you'll never be able to
seamlessly cross message your friends on some other nets you also happen
to be running. Then even if you got a pluggable *user* protocol for messaging,
surfing, storage ironed out and made, you still have the problem of *backend*
dest (and src) addressing. ie: There are at least four, maybe six nets I know of
that can present an IPv6 tunnel interface to the user. Making it dead simple
to securely route all your traffic into the darknet[s], or the entire
set of darknets
based on CIDR block addressing into them. But no, right now they overlap and
conflict :( And without IPv6, they use different native addressing schemes.

This begs for a serious sitdown conference amongst darknets to see what
better cooperative user and backend interfaces might be possible. Or at
least create one grand DHT based middleware addressing shim between
them and the user (and preferably one that presents IPv6 tun interface, you
know... because every app on the planet can speak that these days.
Which is a big adoption win.)

> You could give me a steaming pile of NSA honeytrap codepies

Mmm, pies, me hungry.