BlackHat2014: Deanonymize Tor for $3000

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Sat Jul 5 01:50:26 PDT 2014

Dnia sobota, 5 lipca 2014 01:54:26 Juan pisze:
> "BlackHat2014: Deanonymize Tor for $3000"
>
> Oh, come on. That is 'FUD"! A conspiracy theory!! Those guys didn't
> create tor,  so they shouldn't be hacking it!!! FUCK THEM.
>
> Tor is a project of the US government, the most righteous and clever
> organization on the planet, and the invincible defenders of free speech.
>
> Their anonymity network is simply unassailable. $3000? Please.
>
> Look, their own site says
>
> "Protect your privacy. Defend yourself against network surveillance and
> traffic analysis."[1]
>

> See? Using tor you can defend yourself against TRAFFIC ANALYSIS! There
> you have it. How on earth can tor be vulnerable to trivial traffic
> analysis when their site says just the opposite?
>
> HA! I bet you are so crazy as to think that the tor guys are stupid
> liars! You freedom hating commies!
>

> and so on and so forth...

See, the thing is: the fact that somebody submitted such a talk doesn't mean
it holds any water yet. I will gladly have a look at the documents and the
talk to see, what the problem is. Once we know that, we'll see if the Tor guys
can fix it, or not.

There have been several "deanonimize Tor" talks over the years. Some where
pure bull, some held some water and caused changes to Tor. That's the normal
lifecycle of any complicated project.

But ah, why am I feeding the trolls? :)

> (yes! Now I feel like a real phd who wrote an email with a [] numbered
> footnote)

Good for you. :)

--
Pozdr