PayPal and Proton Mail

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 01:11:15 PDT 2014

> Gregory Foster wrote:
> reflexive acceptance of open source projects

Not so much, ie: one must still evaluate them too.

> I think it's beautiful to see and support the proliferation of work
> occurring to address ... privacy ... [with open source]

Yes.

> [with closed source].

Pretty products, onesheets, and test vectors. Yes, they're nice and
do help in overall movement towards an all encrypted world. They're
worth recommending. However, caveat trust and whatever other issues
to the recommendee. This applies equally to opensource.

Seeing mail providers basically advertise 'you can trust us' to
their end users (with whatever backing reasons they have (which btw
are typically as full of holes as your typical privacy policy))...
that's what should give people pause to think carefully.

This, re: proton... which would you rather hear, and which do you hear?
- Warning: We detected a breach that injected snake oil into your browser.
- Warning: We can inject snake oil into into your browser at will.

Any provider who tells you they offer an email service in which
they can make your email trustably secure for you, regardless of
how they claim to do it, is a liar. Period. You are the trust root,
only you can secure your email.

So those who want better will need to use provider independant
encryption tools. And the best you'll ever get with them under [1]
is encrypting everything but the 'envelope to' (which you must
expose for delivery), and the authenticated 'envelope from' (which
they, being the centralized rulers they are, will require). More
self help tools...
https://www.mailvelope.com/
https://whiteout.io/

> the new normal of no privacy

Any fixes on centralized clearnet 'email', beyond everyone using
self help tools, will always have these trust issues now. As with
Banks/Paypal vs Bitcoin, remove the delegation of trust to the
central provider... by removing the central provider from the equation.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email

http://entersection.com/posts/1238-charlie-chaplin-on-the-patrimony-of-greed-and-its-conquest
?