Identity Intelligence

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 06:47:23 PDT 2014

XKeyScore classifiers for your data exhaust,

---

http://fas.org/blogs/secrecy/2014/07/identity-intel/

"Identity Intelligence and Special Operations"
 - Posted on Jul.30, 2014  by Steven Aftergood

"Identity intelligence” is a relatively new intelligence construct
that refers to the analysis and use of personal information, including
biometric and forensic data among others, to identify intelligence
targets of interest and to deny them anonymity.

The term began to appear a few years ago and was included, for
example, in a 2012 Defense Intelligence Agencybriefing package. Since
then it has quickly propagated throughout U.S. military and
intelligence operations.

The new DoD doctrine on Special Operations — Joint Publication 3-05,
dated 16 July 2014 — includes further discussion of identity
intelligence (I2) in the special operations context:

“I2 is the collection, analysis, exploitation, and management of
identity attributes and associated technologies and processes. The
identification process utilizes biometrics-enabled intelligence (BEI),
forensics-enabled intelligence (FEI), information obtained through
document and media exploitation (DOMEX), and combat information and
intelligence to identify a person or members of a group.”

“I2 fuses identity attributes (biological, biographical, behavioral,
and reputational information related to individuals) and other
information and intelligence associated with those attributes
collected across all intelligence disciplines….”

“USSOCOM [US Special Operations Command] exploits biometric, forensic,
document and media data collections and integrates the data with
all-source intelligence to locate and track unattributed identities
across multiple or disparate instances. Intelligence collections are
processed through the appropriate DOD and interagency databases,
exploited to produce intelligence, and then disseminated to deployed
SOF and throughout the interagency. I2 products enable real-time
decisions in special operations worldwide.”

“Special operations require unique modes of employment, tactics,
techniques, procedures, and equipment. They are often conducted in
hostile, denied, or politically and/or diplomatically sensitive
environments, and are characterized by one or more of the following:
time-sensitivity, clandestine or covert nature, low visibility, work
with or through indigenous forces, greater requirements for regional
orientation and cultural expertise, and a higher degree of risk,” JP
3-05 says.