DEF CON nostalgia [was: going double cryptome at DEF CON 22]

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 20:00:49 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 2:57 PM, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> said some shit:
> "You are the worst kind of person! Criticizing these Defcon Presenters for less than perfect communicating of work they have put a lots of work in to. What have you done to make the security community better or teach students how to better practice Security? Shut up if you only message is negativity! Until you are an expert in all Security I don't care about your opinion Asshole Coderman!"
   [ED: sics' be included.]

i'm sorry, my coping mechanisms are limited. you must assume the right filters.
 program terminated.

---

in all seriousness,
 as for teaching others,
  surely i do this much more badly than most.

missing experience combined with lack of teaching knowledge a starting
point position.  there is no How Children Succeed (Paul Tough) for How
Children Nuture The Hack. there is no "the smartest kids in the world
and how they got that way" (Amanda Ripley) for the skilledest hacker
kids in the world and how they hack that way. there is no Building a
Better Teacher (Elizabeth Green) for Building a Better InfoSec Mentor
and Research Leadership Culture.  inspiring more STEM in general a
challenge, infosec same and then additional complexities and
complications... [0]

regarding DEF CON specifically, the joy always and will be the people
and conversations. while i may harp on the talks in dark humor, the
con as a whole is premium despite oversold and diluted trends to
current. DEF CON++ :)

---

last but not least, a 8x512G Samsung 840Pro SSD single dumb logical
drive in full bay enclosure works best for throughput. what throughput
can you reach in this setup? TBD: host mainboard w/ 12TB DDR3 slotting
ala COPACOBANA; formal request for DEF CON 23 volume mirror operations
- PCIe x16 lanes to memory resident copy of content.. for SCIENCE!
 re:
"DEF CON media hard drive duping station - six 1:11 duplication towers
/ 3 x 4TB mirror tracks (BLUE, GREEN, ORANGE)"
  - https://defcon.org/html/defcon-22/dc-22-news.html#dc22hddupe

best regards,
 #1 DEF CON FAN RLY checking into moderation queue. [1]

0. <re: infosec resources for learning and teaching others>
 perhaps best retort an abridged collection for just this. the set of
what i've found useful a good base of usefullness to others. ETA:
unknown until post-Vegas. suggestions solicitied!

1. "Meta: List moderation"
 [ you can make it nicer here as per
   http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2014/Jul/56 :]