Fwd: [Cryptography] hard to trust all those root CAs

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 16:30:53 PDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Caspar Bowden (lists) <lists at casparbowden.net>
Date: Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Cryptography] hard to trust all those root CAs
To: Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz>, crypto.jmk at gmail.com,
justgold79 at gmail.com
Cc: cryptography at metzdowd.com

On 07/25/14 06:13, Peter Gutmann wrote:

John Kelsey <crypto.jmk at gmail.com> writes:

  Yeah, and the judge and prosecutor who get your case will be helpless before
  your clever skills at evading them, because they've never had to deal with
  literal-minded people trying transparent dodges to get around the law
  before. You will doubtless enjoy the same success as tax protesters do when
  they end up in court.  And shortly thereafter, you'll enjoy an all-expenses-
  paid vacation with free room and board, courtesy of the US government.

This should be preserved somewhere as the standard response to the
Rumpelstiltskin Defence ("you can't prove I'm using crypto/know the keys so
you'll have to let me go").  This perfectly sums up what will happen to anyone
who wants to try the Rumpelstiltskin Defence in court.

In UK law, there is a Rumpelstiltskin Defence (and although I am not
happy with the result, I caused it to be put there and it is better
than nothing)

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id=2000-06-28a.1006.27#g1007.6

(that's all there is BTW - not aware of anything worthwhile written
since, grateful for any refs or cases)

see also www.fipr.org/sfs8/bowden.pdf

Caspar Bowden