Fwd: [Cryptography] hard to trust all those root CAs

oottela oottela at cs.helsinki.fi
Sat Jul 26 01:32:26 PDT 2014

Are there any sources to the procedure how NSL's and other subpoenas /
gag orders could be used to coerce certificate authorities to hand out
their private keys?

My guess is the risk for using root certificate of different company
for MITM is too high: EFF's SSL observatory would detect it. I'm
suprised there has been no leaks about such attacks: It's fairly easy to
mitigate, transparent, long term, and  extremely effective, even against
PFS.

Does anyone have guesses or information about how CA's handle their
private keys? Are all certificates they sign for companies done on
airgapped computers? How high are the security standards of these
companies?

Markus