[tor-talk] EFF / applied law mailing list?

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Jul 26 00:12:51 PDT 2014

On 7/26/14, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there such thing as an applied law / best practices
> mailing list in the digital field... perhaps suited to
> service providers, but also covering users, and meta-orgs
> of digital/privacy/activism/rights, etc? And perhaps where
> real lawyers might actually participate in discussion.

There was Groklaw, but that is no more.

I have presumed in the past that certain "groundwork" work might be
useful for those involved in cases.

However, pre-emptive action is difficult due to the number of
jurisdictions. Groklaw built on the SCO case, which was a) widely
reported, b) struck at the heart of the free/libre software world, c)
involved big budged companies, d) continued for a very long time.

A very valuable literary-legal resource was created by that effort
(other cases were covered to some degrees).

I would discourage self-represented defence in cases surrounding
Tor/I2P etc, due to the potential significance of adverse consequences
to the broader *globabl* free-speech network communities!

Self-represented may be ok in conjunction with support from
pro-liberty lawyers. This might be quite jurisdiction-sensitive, I
don't know.

But first and foremost, we have a duty of care to each other in this
freedom-speech community, to not hide such cases from those who would
be able to support, due to the potential community chilling effects.

SO, such a list might be a very useful thing to set up, so that those
who might "valantly" charge ahead in a case self-representing, might
receive the support and the cautions from supportive lawyers regarding
all possible approaches, etc, etc.

Regards
Zenaan