Market for secure systems, ICLOAK puts Nix/Tor/TBB/etc on USB raises $95k

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 15:13:32 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM, rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
> Dnia środa, 23 lipca 2014 17:24:22 grarpamp pisze:
>> Snowden triggers flood of Crapware [was: Gruveo, more secure skype?]

I'll fork this one off to the Tor folks...

> Here, have a chuckle:
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/icloak/icloak-tm-stik-easy-powerful-online-privacy-for-yo
>
> Hat-tip to all the TAILS/Tor people here.

https://icloak.org/

At least it appears from the splashpage to be an open bundling
of mostly open tools that are thought reasonably well of, ie: Nix,
Tor, GnuPG. As opposed to being some new unheard of closed
commercialware.
Things like this could serve by dropping more 'crypto by default'
on the net at the end user level (even if such users are their own
newbie cannon fodder on a learning curve). And spreading Unix
also helps shift marketshare and knowledge away from Windows
long term. If my two minute read of this one is right, it would be
hard to not give them some kudos.

I don't know what amounts are typically fundraised and
the donor counts, but $95k for something like this seems
to indicate a demand for more secure/private systems in general.

Maybe a million will sell and send some donations back.