Snowden triggers flood of Crapware [was: Gruveo, more secure skype?]

Stephan Neuhaus stephan.neuhaus at tik.ee.ethz.ch
Wed Jul 23 23:39:35 PDT 2014

On 2014-07-23, 23:59, stef wrote:
> exactly this prompted me to come up with the seven rules of thumb to detect
> snakeoil:
>
>     not free software
>     runs in a browser
>     runs on a smartphone
>     the user doesn't generate, or exclusively own the private encryption keys
>     there is no threat model
>     uses marketing-terminology like "cyber", "military-grade"
>     neglects general sad state of host security

In order to qualify as snake oil according to this definition, do all of
these have to be true, or is any criterion sufficient?  Because if it's
"any", then this https://www.cylab.cmu.edu/safeslinger/ is snakeoil,
which I think is unfair. (Note that I'm not saying that this is a secure
app; I haven't looked at the code. But you can't fault the authors on
threat modelling etc. Its only "fault" is that it runs on a smart phone.)

Fun,

Stephan