BadBIOS forensics

Steve Furlong demonfighter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 04:19:00 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 6:49 AM, rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
> The way it is, you don't have such control. So you would be giving these
away
> to some orgs you don't like hoping this will get them in hot water with
the
> NSA/the government.
> Either way, a bad, bad idea

Oh, agreed. I was joking when I suggested spreading the malware.

(People keep telling me that my (alleged) sense of humor will get me in
trouble one of these days. Meh, hasn't happened yet.)

> I work in an NGO that tries to be at least
> partially funded by donations, and it's fucking hard.

I'd say it's a case of the 10% making the rest look bad, but really, every
single NFP whose accounting I've seen has had something to hide. It's not
always excessive perqs for the bosses (and only for the bosses; one of the
things to hide is just how much the boss's little extras cost while she
tells the staff that there just isn't the money to give any of them pay
raises this year), sometimes it's just the level of overhead. One person
was telling me that they needed to conceal their overhead level because if
they reported the actual level they would lose donations to "more
efficient" charities ... who also were lying in their financials.