Cypherpunks for Office [Edu/corp giving personal information to NSA/whoever]

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Sun Jul 13 22:57:28 PDT 2014

Dnia niedziela, 13 lipca 2014 23:18:29 grarpamp pisze:
> On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 5:35 PM, rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
> > Dnia sobota, 12 lipca 2014 18:15:53 nicolasbourbaki at riseup.net pisze:
> >> The Pirate Party and Cypherpunks party are populous movements
> >
> > I couldn't agree more, and the sad state of Pirate Party here in Poland:
> > Same shit is going on in Germany and Sweden, AFAIK. Pirate Party movement
> > is in deep crisis in Europe.
>
> Forgetting the actual failures in execution, you're simply not going
> to gain much public acceptance (votes) among the masses, or earn
> influence by them, by calling yourselves the 'pirate' or 'punks' party.
> Well, except by luck and whim. At least call yourselves something
> relatively benign on the books so that you can then choose to carry
> whatever banner suits each audience.

I disagree. The Pirate Party got a lot of media attention thanks to the name,
and got a strong support in the beginning. The current crisis is not due to
the name, but due to the fact the PP abandoned quite a lot of their original
core issues (filesharing, data protection, privacy, etc).

> Disruption, when you have insufficient force outright, implies subterfuge
> and sleight of hand. Get deeper.

But the PP created a hell of a disruption. Some big parties today have
integrated some elements of the original PP platform into their programmes,
which is a success regardless of what happens with PP now.

However, I'm a big supporter of the idea of creating a single, strong Commons
Party, assimilating the Greens and the Pirate Parties across Europe (and
further) into a single force.

When one thinks about it, it makes sense. On some level the Greens and PP have
similar core values: protecting the commons -- be it environmental, or
digital. They cooperate closely on several issues in the EU already, and yet
go to elections separately.

--
Pozdr
rysiek