distributing Cryptome June 2014 [was: data mine the snowden files]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 17:17:59 PDT 2014

> Could you do tarballs or zip files, rather than rar files? They're
> much easier to deal with than recent rars using free software (the
> only program I know that will do it is unar[0], which depends on
> loads of GNUstep stuff).
> 0. http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html

Disrupting the originals inhibits verification with others who
possess mailings and should be avoided. Supplementation is fine.

There's this if you don't mind blobs.
http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

RAR is proprietary.
ZIP is not compact.

Assuming Cryptome's working platform is not an opensource Unix,
I'd definitely consider switching to 7z, which works on or is shipped
with Linux/Win/BSD/Mac, is opensource, and produces great
compression ratios. xz is another fine choice. There are probably
prettier GUI's for lzma/lzma2 out there if desired.
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
http://tukaani.org/xz/

917504 1.xz lzma2
1718180 1.7z lzma