Tox.im

edhelas edhelas at movim.eu
Mon Jul 7 00:11:24 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm working on the Movim project since 2008, our aim is to create a
full social network on top of the XMPP protocol. As I see again, the
guys of the Tox project are trying to reinvent the wheel… again. Now,
to do IM, we have Skype, BBM, Line, WhatsApp, MSN, QQ, AIM, ICQ, IRC,
XMPP, Facebook Messenger…

Same for the social networks as Davis said (PumpIO, TentIO…)

I really think that we need to focus on an existent standard and
improve it, and for me XMPP seem to be the perfect protocol for all
theses things :
- Standard IM + chatroom
- Video/Audio conferencing (with Jingle, we are using it with WebRTC on
Movim)
- Pubsub (for newsfeeds, blogging)
- Geolocation
- Vcard4 support
- SASL2 authentication
- OTR support
- Full encryption between the servers (https://xmpp.net/list.php)
- and so on…

XMPP can do a lot more than just IM, it's a full social-communication
protocol it just need to be implemented, tested and debugged :)

Tim