XKeyscore rules - technology utilized

Alfie John alfiej at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 6 14:38:04 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014, at 04:38 PM, Nathan Andrew Fain wrote:
> Based on the xkeyscore rules does anyone have some idea of the
> technology being utilized?
>
> Looking at the mapreduce::plugin definition I get the impression
> Hadoop is in use. Hadoop provides a stream interface for Map Reduce
> functions letting one utilize any program or language of their
> choosing [1-example]. Can with more knowledge of distributed data
> technologies confirm this?

It's been known for a while that the NSA are using Hadoop (June 9,
2013)[1]:

  "The NSA's advances have come in the form of programs developed on the
  West Coast—a central one was known by the quirky name Hadoop—that
  enable intelligence agencies to cheaply amplify computing power, U.S.
  and industry officials said."

Also, from the Hadoop 2014 speaker lineup [2]:

  "Joey Echeverria is Cloudera`s Chief Architect for Public Sector where
  he coordinates with Cloudera`s Customers and Partners as well as
  Cloudera`s Product, Engineering, and Field teams to speed up the time
  it takes to move Hadoop applications to production. Previously Joey
  was a Principal Solutions Architect where he worked directly with
  customers to deploy production Hadoop clusters and solve a diverse
  range of business and technical problems. Joey joined Cloudera from
  the NSA where he worked on data mining, network security, and
  clustered data processing using Hadoop."

Alfie

[1]
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323495604578535290627442964?mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424127887323495604578535290627442964.html

[2] http://hadoopsummit.org/san-jose/speakers/