Tox.im

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Sun Jul 6 11:25:27 PDT 2014

Dnia niedziela, 6 lipca 2014 13:42:55 grarpamp pisze:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Lodewijk andré de la porte <l at odewijk.nl>
wrote:
> > Just write the communications layer. Expose it through a socket on the
> > local machine. Let's say the port will be 33742 (actually a good port
> > number) (say
> >
> > This little daemon/server maintains the connection to whatever P2P network
> > is currently thought to be neat. It may or may not also do DNS-ish stuff
> > and (if that's the popular P2P thing) it can have a keyring with trusted
> > peers (aka "friends").
> >
> > Once you have that you can communicate in an abstracted form. You can send
>
> Yes, I've always felt the level of interop among crypto darknets is
> arbitrarily far less than ideal. Everybody seems to want to make their
> own user protocol for umm, say, the simple act of sending a message.
> And with all these different vertical darknet silos, you'll never be able to
> seamlessly cross message your friends on some other nets you also happen to
> be running. Then even if you got a pluggable *user* protocol for messaging,
> surfing, storage ironed out and made, you still have the problem of
> *backend* dest (and src) addressing. ie: There are at least four, maybe six
> nets I know of that can present an IPv6 tunnel interface to the user.
> Making it dead simple to securely route all your traffic into the
> darknet[s], or the entire set of darknets
> based on CIDR block addressing into them. But no, right now they overlap and
> conflict :( And without IPv6, they use different native addressing schemes.
>
> This begs for a serious sitdown conference amongst darknets to see what
> better cooperative user and backend interfaces might be possible. Or at
> least create one grand DHT based middleware addressing shim between
> them and the user (and preferably one that presents IPv6 tun interface, you
> know... because every app on the planet can speak that these days.
> Which is a big adoption win.)

Absolutely. Without serious and seamless interoperability, we have no way of
actually getting people to use these solutions. "Nobody's there" × tens of
solutions/networks.

This is, by the way, a huge problem in the free and open
decentralised/federated crowd. Consider this e-mail exchange:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-fedsocweb/2013May/0058.html

--
Pozdr
rysiek