[FoRK] What3words -- convert lat,long into 3 English words

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Wed Jul 9 05:12:49 PDT 2014

----- Forwarded message from "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw@lig.net> -----

Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:30:43 -0700
From: "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw@lig.net>
To: Friends of Rohit Khare <fork@xent.com>
Subject: Re: [FoRK] What3words -- convert lat,long into 3 English words

Interesting choices.  I thought perhaps they were using lat/long to
index into a dictionary, maybe with a hash, but it seems they have
semi-manually tuned the mapping of 3 words to every 3m by 3m square on
the Earth's surface, perhaps minus ocean space.  Nicer IDs, but you
need the proprietary database online for use.  They have "extra info",
but so far I don't see any kind of semantic tagging, which is sad.

I noticed GeoHash and related not long ago.  This is a new twist. I
was involved with helping the startup of a friend of a friend of mine
long ago called NetWord.  The premise was very close to the private
OneWord for What3words.  A while back, I sent a letter to the USPS
head suggesting a moveable 9+ digit unique zip code. This would allow
people to have a unique short address that would be looked up in a
database and sent to the currently registered location.  Perfect for
students, consultants, or others who move frequently.  And private
from the sender potentially.  No surprise: no response.  Then I
thought about a service that would open and scan your mail for you.  A
few difficulties, but would be useful.  But I thought better of it.
Another company did it later, using veterans to open the mail as a
security selling point.

Related links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geohash
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geohash-36
http://geohash.org/
http://www.bigdatamodeling.org/2013/01/intuitive-geohash.html

Use of variable precision bounding box addresses in 2D or 3D, but closely held and proprietary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Area_Code
http://www.nacgeo.com/

Similar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_grid_reference_system
http://tools.wmflabs.org/geohack/geohack.php?pagename=Military_grid_reference_system&params=21_18_34.0_N_157_55_0.7_W_&language=en