and not a single Tor hacker was surprised...

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Wed Jan 22 08:30:53 PST 2014

   To be fair, literally no one who works on Tor or Tor-related projects
is surprised.  This is addressed at nearly every talk, nearly every
workshop, and people are pretty open about it as a feature of the
landscape.  That most of these are low-speed exits is pretty telling.
Most bad exits are designed to inject/replace ads, which is pretty
stupid.  If you catch someone doing this, share their ad code so they
can be reported to ad networks and lose the money they were trying to make.

   However, the balance of probability has it that any given user is
likely to be fine.  Enforce https and don't accept random certificate
errors.  If you're getting a certificate error, click New Identity and
you'll find that most magically disappear (and those that don't are
typically issues with the website itself - don't patronize
poorly-secured websites).

   What do I mean by "balance of probability"?  Well, if you use Tor,
there's about a 90% chance you'll pass through an exit run by someone I
know, and a quite good chance that you'll specifically exit through a
Torservers node.

   My point being that the only real answer to this problem is network
diversity.  If you're concerned about "spoiled onions," run a node!
Don't have the time/money/interest? Donate to Torservers or Nos Oignons
or Noisetor so that they can run more exit nodes.

~Griffin