bitcoin

Juan Garofalo juan.g71 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 22:15:44 PST 2014

--On Wednesday, January 22, 2014 11:33 AM +1030 Philip Shaw
<wahspilihp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2014, at 8:15 , Juan Garofalo <juan.g71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 	I'm asking what practical means would governments use to deal with
>> 	bitcoin if it becomes a real problem for them.
>
> Obvious solutions:
>
> * declare BTC to be presumptively evidence of drug dealing or trading CP
> - possession of weakly-related artefacts being declared as sufficient
> evidence has, IIRC, been ruled legal in NY in the case of a law which
> made possession by a woman of multiple condoms evidence of prostitution.
> * require BTC holdings to be declared to the tax authorities, and make
> explicit that whatever the local tax on investment holdings applies to
> BTC (I think the current question is not whether growth in value of BTC
> is taxable but what kind of investment it should be taxed as). * snarl up
> BTC exchanges with the same reporting requirements as normal banks and
> trading houses, even though the much smaller scale will make that
> extremely difficult to comply with. * rule that BTC miners are engaging
> in banking by building up the record in the block chain, and make them
> all responsible for reporting the transactions they process

	So, those are some possible 'legal' means that can be used to cripple
bitcoin.

	What about requiring people to tie their identities to addresses? If
individuals were forced to use addresses known to the government, then
surveilling (maybe all) economic transactions would become...rather easy.