Infiltration/Exfiltration

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Tue Jan 21 03:32:53 PST 2014

Dnia poniedziaƂek, 20 stycznia 2014 23:29:46 Troy Benjegerdes pisze:
> Let me posit that we need humans that act more like ethical beings, that
> have insights that go beyond the logic, rules, and reason that seem to,
> well, govern the keeping of secrets. I see a disturbing trend towards
> people who appear to be more human rule-and-emotional-reactivity execution
> units than empowered beings with free and unpredictable thought and
> discernment.
>
> The great thing that Snowden did was get more of the general public engaged
> and involved, and for the various types of infiltrators to have any lasting
> effect, there must be cypherpoliticians, architecting secure legal codes and
> blocking legislative trojans.
>
> Assassination Politics is an interesting armchair quarterback game, but I
> think what we really need is some of that theory applied to Election
> politics, with some down-in-the dirt wrestling with campaign finance.

Oooooh. Oooh. "I just had a brainwave", to quote Chief Inspector Hubbard.

How about use the very same mechanism as assassination market, but for voting?
Betting on who will win the next election, generally or in a each district,
etc? Creating cash incentives not for politicians (well, also, they could bet
themselves after all!), but activists, or other people that might help get
somebody elected? Pooling resources, but not in a candidate's pocket.

> We need cypherpunks pointing out the futility of more reactive campaign
> finance regulations that plug the holes we saw last year. We need speech,
> and code as speech, and a debate about does the First Amendment cover the
> right to speak in code, and does the Second Amendment give us the right to
> keep and bear a well-regulated open-source drone Militia?

Well, funny thing that. I wrote on it:
http://rys.io/en/54

The tl;dr is -- even though traditional RC planes are better-fitted to be used
as "terrorist tools" (faster, more load, etc), it's *copters that will get
banned first, as they empower people to "watch the watchers".

> Get the public engaged and involved again, and run for office, or go work
> for a campaign an do some analytics, and tell us the state-of-the art in
> modern election engineering.

+1

This modus operandi (get involved, get inside, change the game) worked great
with blocking software patents in Europe years ago, worked similarly well with
blocking ACTA in Europe. Had there been no "our people" in the bowels of the
European Parliament, for example, it would be much harder or nigh impossible.

--
Pozdr
rysiek