Infiltration / Exfiltration

Jim Bell jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 18:36:57 PST 2014

From: grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com>

To: "cypherpunks at cpunks.org" <cypherpunks at cpunks.org>
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: Infiltration / Exfiltration

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 5:29 PM, Jim Bell <jamesdbell8 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> somehow add additional inducement:  To reward them for exposing that
>> government.  If Snowden or Manning, or both, get a well-publicized $5
>> million reward, that would invigorate a lot of similar people to do similar

>And interesting idea to be sure. Though while you could easily enough
>verifiy the data/leaker and arrange payment semantics, there does
>not at this moment seem to exists a suitably anonymous pay system
>for even $100kUSD other than a briefcase in the woods, bitcoin appears
>to be balance trackable at that level and it's useless to the leaker if
>they can't deposit or draw on it.

One obvious problem with "money for leaks" is that, who decides what a given leak is worth?  So, fixed prices are probably out.  But, the actual leak can be posted, and the potential donors will decide what they will give.  As I recall, one problem with the Wikileaks system was that its ability to collect donations (through credit cards) was impeded.  Presumably, Zerocoin will shortly become available for truly anonymous donations.
But, it occurs to me that even though the leaker should be able to collect the reward truly anonymously, perhaps it should be documentable the fact that he/she actually obtained that amount, for the encouragement of future, potential leakers.  Could the donations/rewards go through the leak-organization in a pseudonymous (at least) fashion, and then be given to the anonymous leaker, in a way that is documented sufficiently so that people considering becoming leakers are aware of the actual rewards being given?
       Jim Bell