bitcoin

Anthony Martin cpunks at martin-studio.com
Mon Jan 20 00:29:04 PST 2014

I think a likely mid-term vector of attack will be ETF.  But it'll
take a long time to ramp up.  An ETF like the BIT could allow the
status quo to pump up the price of Bitcoin, like the dot coms and
housing, creating an environment of malinvestment.

Mind you, the malinvestment under that kind of attack is not really in
Bitcoin directly.  It's in the ETF.  But most people won't know
there's even a difference.

But that's just one possible vector.  Another one, perhaps a longer
term vector, might be a so-called "adoption" of Bitcoin into the
"legitimate" practices of democracy.  In that scenario, a central bank
might seek to issue "Bitcoin-backed" notes, with the promise to pay
the bearer a certain percentage of the face value in Bitcoin.

Early on, the bearer will get 100% of the face value in Bitcoin.
They'll get the "benefit" of being able to pay their taxes in those
notes.  Over time, the bearer amount will fall.  But even if it falls
just to 99% bearer value, that's a problem for the note's long term
health, which is by design.

No one who knows what Bitcoin really is will ever want this note.  But
the average person will love it.  It might even have a QR code, but it
won't be a private key or anything useful.  It'll just be a serial
number.  The average person won't know the difference.

Eventually, the QR code will be used in a court battle where the
status quo attempts to convince the public that any competing note
that has such a QR code is a counterfeit currency, and only
"legitimate" organizations may emit such media.

The goal will be to make sure the note is seen as Bitcoin itself.
Then, create a crisis in that note to tarnish Bitcoin.

The average person will think that Bitcoin failed, when in fact, the
silly currency "backed" by Bitcoin is the thing that failed.

Whatever the scheme, the main weapon will be ignorance.