independently assisting oversight of highly classified programs

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 23:33:29 PST 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 3:43 PM, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... my understanding is that statements in congress are public,
> and subject to same unauthorized disclosure laws.  only the POTUS can
> unilaterally decide to "leak" something in public without legal
> repercussions (impeachment aside).

i was wrong, and the POTUS angle by Executive Order 13526 implies
he/she/$POTUS can clarify at will.

seems there is a longer history of not just presidents but also
congress leaking secrets.  does anyone know the specific instances
covered in these texts?
- Burn Before Reading, Stansfield Turner
- The Deadly Bet, Walter LaFaber
- Seeds of Terror, Gretchen Peters
- Classified Information in "Obama's Wars", Jack Goldsmith, Lawfare

also interesting that classifying non-government-generated information
has not been tried in the courts; the Sean P. Gorman incident not
applicable as my understanding is that he received clearance and they
built a SCIF on the university campus for him to finish studies and
perform research in an official capacity for USGov.

best regards,
  except those byzantine general warmongers