Fw: Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to screw you

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Wed Jan 8 17:57:15 PST 2014

 > about the V2V cars- what is the likelihood that automobiles are _not
 > tagged in some way, just like computers, given that location or other
 > data is critically important and perhaps more easily accessible or
 > tracked outside of a particular environment...

If you have a newish car, it has a radio in every tire's valve stem.
If I know the radio signature of your car, then my roadside bomb
will only miss you if you aren't in the vehicle that day.  And that
is putting aside all the other wireless goo new cars come with, and
the embedded systems some (many) of which can reach that wireless
goo, and the fact that people pay to be tracked (OnStar), and the
mountain of data that the OBDI (On Board Diagnostic Interface) holds
including the VIN, and the hundred startups vying to get their plug
in your OBDI and upload your data to their cloud, and the insurers
who'll buy your cooperation with monitoring for a few percent off
the bill, and the spot to plug your mobile into the car's on-board
net, and the automated gizmo to determine if you're driving drunk
and kill the engine if you are, and the LED headlamps that can quite
easily be pulsing data that your eyeballs will never detect, and
the electric car's battery charger that will double as a software
(pun) auto-update portal, and the robot that will soon be driving
for you, like it or not, because by then the State of California,
et al., will know that robots drive greener than you do, etc., etc.

Don't buy a model later than 1993...

--dan